Worker dies after chlorine tank explodes in Pedreira
According to the fire department, the victim was making a repair in the city’s water treatment plant; a second worker was injured and rescued to the medical emergency unit.
By EPTV and G1 Campinas and region
March 23, 2021 – 9:17pm, updated 1 day ago
A worker died last Tuesday (23) after the chlorine tank he was repairing exploded at the water treatment plant of the water and sewage department (SAAE) in the city of Pedreira, São Paulo state. A second worker was injured and rescued to the city’s Emergency Medical Unit.
According to the Fire Department, the victims are employees of a company outsourced by SAAE.
The City Guard preserving the explosion site informed that the expertise and funeral services had already been called. There is no information about the name and age of the workers or the state of health of the rescued worker.
The causes of the explosion are yet to be clarified.
ABICLOR CLARIFICATION NOTE
Brazil’s chlor-alkali and derivatives industry association (Abiclor), by this clarification note deeply regrets the accident that occurred at the water treatment plant of the water and sewage service (SAAE) in the city of Pedreira, São Paulo state, with serious consequences.
Abiclor clarifies that the event is in no way related to the liquefied chlorine gas produced by the technologies that its associated companies use, as the plant in question uses an on-site hypochlorite generator, manufacturing the product at a low active chlorine concentration (between 0.4 and 0.6%), whose use and application still depends on regulation.
It is worth noting that in the traditional process used to produce sodium hypochlorite, which is known to be safer in Brazil and worldwide, the product that arrives at water treatment plants is the end-product, which is suitable for direct use in water treatment, strictly following all applicable rules and laws for its use. It is well known that all associated producers have well known safety technology and procedures, which is confirmed by the fact that no accidents caused by liquefied chlorine gas have been reported for more than 20 years in Brazil.
Abiclor, by its ethical and responsible conduct, ratifies, as mentioned, that on-site technology requires urgent regulation for technical production and maintenance procedures of the electrolysis unit, as well as other process equipment to ensure safe operation with the best available technology based on controlled risks.
We are available for further clarification if necessary.